Custom Jewelry Design

By

Angela Kelsheimer

Friday, October 26, 2012


The Jewel

In Memory of Janis Joplin
4 October 2012
 
We only had one "Summertime" together,
Did everyone take "A Piece of your Heart," Miss Janis?
Was life really easier when Bobby sang the blues?
We all wanted to ride in your "Mercedes Benz,"
But we were all to damn drunk and high in the Porsche.
No need to "Cry Baby,"
Even though we were only on this Earth together for a year,
You changed my life.
Somedays I have a shot of Southern Comfort,
It don't comfort me much Miss Janis.
Some nights I dream that I'm wailin' and gravelin' into the mike,
Makin' the hippies cry in the Castro.
From where does that that sound come, Miss Janis?
I think it's probably South of where the other angels tread.
Thanks for being whoever you were.
That's the trouble with being an icon.
Too many graven images,
Not enough flesh and blood and bone.
You were a ghost, Miss Janis,
Even when you were walkin' the mile.
From Texas to California,
From the bottle to the syringe,
From this life to the next,
Thanks for what you had to give.
Sorry if we took too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment