Custom Jewelry Design

By

Angela Kelsheimer

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Stephen Webster's Seven Deadly Sins

I'll be honest,,[I have to be in this article]...I look at A LOT of jewelry.  In fact, one could say that I am obsessed with it.  I study it, draw it, design it and fabricate it.  So when I see something that truly inspires my imagination by the fabulous design and the extraordinary materials used, how can I not possibly share it with you?

Today while perusing Pinterest, I found my newest passion...artist and jeweler, Stephen Webster and his artistic clarification of the 7 Deadly Sins.  The Seven Deadly Sins have been taught for centuries.  They first became popular as a didactic tool for the Roman Catholic Church in the early fourteenth century.  These sins, being explained in the Book of Proverbs 6: l6-l9 of the Holy Bible, are said to be the sins from where all other sins originate.  These "mortal" sins may lead to the eternal damnation of the sinner as well as those he pulls down with him through these acts. Throughout the years, these archetypical examples have become a cautionary cloth woven into the realms of religion, history, art, literature and even a few modern motion pictures for the modern student.  So of course, when I saw Webster's ironic interpretation of such weighty subject matter in a medium of art and expression that is so near and dear to my heart, I had to post these magically transporting designs.
PRIDE-  This ring is composed of anodized titanium, amethyst center stone, diamonds, pink and blue sapphires.
GREED- This ring is yellow gold and diamonds.
WRATH-  This is my personal favorite.  I love the intricate design of the hands and the malevolent color palette being offered to the wearer.   This ring is red gold, blood red garnet in the center, diamonds and rubies.
GLUTTONY-  This ring is white gold, orange citrine, rubies and white enameled teeth.
LUST-  This ring is white gold, Tanzanite in the center and diamonds.
SLOTH-  This ring is yellow gold with a center stone of aquamarine, rubies and diamonds.
ENVY-  This ring is white gold, black rhodium, huge peridot, black and white diamonds.
These rings range in price from £l5,000.00- £98,000.00. Perhaps the pocketbook is in as much danger as the soul?
The artist, Stephen Webster is a well established jeweler in England.  He is very popular with celebrities and the English Royal Family.  This particular collection that I shared with you today first debuted in June of 20l0. Webster was appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire [MBE] in 20l3 for his 37 years training and skills in the British jewelry industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment